Colman Automotive Building
The Colman Automotive Building is a rare surviving example of the first period of "Auto Row" showroom architecture. Designed and built in 1915-1916 by the Seattle firm of Webster & Ford, the building was designed on the cusp of the new automobile age, yet retains design characteristics of the commercial horse stable architecture from the first years of the twentieth century. The building is a skillfully designed weave of masonry, wood and cast iron and retains a very high degree of integrity of original elments. The owner, Michael Malone and Hunters Capital, has a strong track record of owning, restoring and operating historic buildings in Seattle's Capitol Hill and First Hill neighborhoods. Stephen Day Architecture has conducted extensive historic research and existing conditions documentation for this important building. We prepared the National Register nomination for the structure and are working with Hunters Capital and the State of Washington to take this historic property through the National Park Service review as part of a comprehensive historic tax credit rehabilitation.